Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Don LaFontaine, 1940-2008. R.I.P.

You wouldn't know his name but you certainly knew his voice especially if you went to the movies. Don LaFontaine, the voice over artist who often read trailers with "In a world gone mad", died on Monday due to complications from blood clots in his lungs. He had just turned 68.

Many years ago, while living in Ottawa, I tried my hand at voiceover work. A couple of friends of mine were producing a commercial for some exercise equipment and they asked me to do the voiceover. Believe me, it ain't easy. The commercial never saw the light of day.

LaFontaine was the master at his craft and is essentially the template for all who follow.

I did not know he was born in Duluth, Minnesota. That's about five hours south of my hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario.

He was rarely seen by the public. One notable exception was this commercial he did for GEICO in 2006. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7IOwT8)

No comments: