Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne, 1917-2010. R.I.P.

Singer and actress Lena Horne has died at the age of 92.

She was the first black performer who signed a contract with major studio (MGM). However, she was relegated to bit parts and would later concentrate on her nightclub act becoming one of the most popular singers in North America in a career that would last decades.

If you grew up in the 1970s and 1980s as I did you probably remember her for her appearances on Sesame Street, The Muppet Show and The Cosby Show. Even well into her later years she retained an ageless beauty. She had such a warmth about her. Seeing and hearing her left me with a smile on my face. I found her appearances on TV reassuring.

She pretty much disappeared from public view about a decade ago. There have certainly been times this past decade when seeing Lena Horne would have been exactly what the doctor ordered. The world was a better place with her in it.

No comments: