Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Carl Crawford Comes to Boston

Outfielder Carl Crawford has signed a seven-year, $142 million contract with the Boston Red Sox.

I must say this does come as a surprise. I knew Boston was interested in him. But I figured the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim had the inside track but lo and behold this could prove to be a steal.

Crawford has spent his entire nine year big league career with Tampa Bay. He has led the AL in stolen bases and triples four times apiece. Crawford enters the 2011 season with a .296 lifetime batting average, nearly 1,500 hits and more than 400 career stolen bases. To top it all off Crawford is only 28.

So what I am saying is that Crawford could get 3,000 career hits and close to a 1,000 stolen bases. He will be patroling left field where Ted Williams, Jim Rice and Manny Ramirez stood before him.

I remember a game in 2009 in which Crawford stole six bases against the Sox tying an AL record. Let's just say I'm glad he's on our side now.

This is bigger than acquiring Adrian Gonzalez. Much bigger.

No comments: