Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Jane Russell, 1921-2011. R.I.P.

Hollywood legend Jane Russell passed away yesterday at the age of 89 due to respiratory failure.

Russell quite literally burst upon the scene in Howard Hughes' 1943 classic The Outlaw and soon became a pin-up girl for WWII servicemen. The buxom brunette was perhaps best known for co-starring with Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes a decade later.

I remember Russell as the spokeswoman for the Playtex "cross your heart" bras in the early 1980s.

Despite her image as a sex symbol, Russell was a devout Christian. She was also an unabashed conservative. In a 2002 interview, Russell said, "I want to save America. I do not want a one-world order, a one-world government, at all. I think that our Founding Fathers had exactly the right idea, and we've got a great country, and let's go back to God."

Amen to that.

No comments: