Sunday, January 29, 2012

UN's Agenda 21 destroying small communities, farms, livelihoods

This is the best personalized story I've read of how Agenda 21 is crippling small communities and destroying farms and livelihoods.

Wildlands Project Cripples Rural Communties

CHALK ONE UP FOR DAVE
Editorial by Brian Hawthorne,
BRC Public Lands Director

I recently toured parts of southern New Mexico where my travels took me to a small town called Glenwood, right next to the Gila National Forest. The folks in Glenwood were very friendly and eager to show me around this small community. I was invited to visit with a group of locals at the Blue Front restaurant in Glenwood. After the best beef brisket lunch I've ever had, I was introduced and given a few minutes to give a presentation about BRC.
The Carter family used to run cattle on public lands near Escalante, Utah. See that alfalfa field in the background? It's irrigated with water from the Wide Hollow Reservoir, shown in the photo below. What's all that got to do with foundation funded "environmental" groups? Wide Hollow Reservoir's dam needs to be replaced. Thanks to lawsuits funded by foundations, plans to re build the reservoir have been litigated into oblivion. The result? The Carter's aren't running cattle anymore, and if the foundations are successful, that alfalfa field will be gone too. Either dried up and brown or built up with vacation condos. It's a crime!

I wasn't into my presentation for a minute when an elderly gentleman interrupted me. He did this remarkably politely, and when I think back on it now, I guess I could have been a bit 'put-out' by the interruption. After all, the group had invited me to come speak to them! But I wasn't bothered and sat down to quietly listened.

The gentleman told me the story of what has happened to Glenwood and other communities in the area. As with most small towns in rural areas, especially in the West, Glenwood had "grown up from nothing" based on resource related jobs. Jobs in logging, mining and agriculture were, and still are, the foundation of this community.

I continued to listen as my new friend described how foundation funded "environmental" groups began to change all that. He described how massive budgets allow these fringe groups to file lawsuits and systematically eliminate natural resource jobs. Closing roads is just icing on the cake, he said.

He talked about what happened to the community when the lawsuits forced the sawmills to close. Cattlemen were similarly affected, he said, and the population has been dwindling ever since. Most local businesses closed and community services dropped. He said this year their public school might have to close for lack of money.

"That hasn't stopped these radical groups," he said. The green groups are using litigation, legislation and, of course, the Endangered Species Act to take long held water rights. He said, "If they take our water, our community will die. There is no doubt about it."

Read the rest of the article at Stewards of the Sequoia

No comments: