Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Red Sox Nation Turns On Obama

During a fundraiser last night at Symphony Hall here in Boston, President Obama rubbed salt in the wound of Red Sox Nation when he thanked his audience for Kevin Youkilis who booed him in return. Of course, Obama is known for his affinity for the Chicago White Sox who acquired the veteran third baseman on Sunday. But Obama touched a raw nerve even amongst Democratic partisans who began booing him. "I didn't think I'd get any "boos" out of here," said a visibly taken aback Obama, "I guess I shouldn't have -- I should not have brought up baseball. I understand. My mistake."

Thank goodness the Boston crowd got him to stop talking baseball. Otherwise he might have brought up Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone and Robert Andino.

On the other hand, can Obama name the players the White Sox traded to get Youkilis? If someone were to mention the names Brent Lillibridge and Zach Stewart to Obama, he'd probably respond with a blank stare. I'm sure Obama would have a similar reaction if someone were to mention the names of Chisox pitchers like Addison Reed, Chris Sale and Hector Santiago.

Well, apparently Jay Carney didn't see the video, much less read the White House transcript. The White House Press Secretary insisted the audience wasn't booing President Obama:
Anyone who knows Boston, knows the Red Sox and anyone who was in that room last night knows that the preponderance of people shouting in response to what the president said about Kevin Youkilis were saying 'Yoooook' and not 'Booo,' for God's sake.
Let's get thing straght. As someone who has attended more than 80 games at Fenway Park, I know the difference between 'Yoooouk' and 'booo'. Believe me, Obama was getting booed. He might as well have donned a Yankees cap. While I don't think he lost the support of those willing to pay $2,500 to see him, the same might not be said for Red Sox Nation. If Obama loses Massachusetts in November, we will have Kevin Youkilis to thank for it.

One more thing. Memo to Larry Thornberry: It's Youk not Yook.

No comments: