Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake Hits Los Angeles

Approximately half an hour ago, an earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale hit just southeast of Los Angeles. At this point, it is too early to tell what extent the damage is or if there have been any injuries or fatalities.

Remember the Los Angeles earthquake of January 1994?

I sure do. My father was there when it happened. In fact, he arrived in Los Angeles the night before the earthquake hit. He was staying with one of my aunts and the topic of earthquakes came up. My father asked my aunt when earthquakes hit at what time do they usually occur. "About 6 a.m.," my aunt said.

Well, sure enough the earthquake early the following the morning.

My father was sleeping at the time. He woke up and said, "It must be 6 a.m." He promptly fell back asleep.

Actually, the earthquake hit at 4:30 a.m. But for all intents and purposes my Dad slept through a 6.7 earthquake and lived to tell about it. Unfortunately, 72 other people weren't so fortunate.

So hopefully everyone is OK out there.

No comments: