Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Chanukah

Tonight begins the Festival of Lights.

For the first time in many years I went to a synagogue to observe the lighting of the Menorah. I am not the most observant Jew in the world. The only Jewish holiday I consistently observe is Yom Kippur and even then I set aside a day to fast rather than on the appointed date. But so far it has granted me entry in the Book of Life.

A week ago I was in a grocery store and discovered there was a little synagogue in Jamaica Plain and thought now was as good a time as any to put my yarmulke back on my head.

Of course, Boston and much of the country has been in the midst of a hellacious snowstorm. A number of Chanukah events in the area have been canceled as a result of the weather. So I checked with the Rabbi to see if things were proceeding and indeed they were. I guess if the Maccabees could put with the Syrians I could put up with the snow.

The Rabbi told us the Menorah used to light shamash was over 200 years old and belonged to a Dutch man who rescued scores of Jewish children during the Holocaust. The Menorah was buried in a field to keep it away from the Nazis. If Chanukah can survive the Holocaust it can certainly survive a little inclement weather.

No comments: