Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dixie Carter, 1939-2010. R.I.P.

Actress Dixie Carter has passed away. Her cause of death is unknown. She was 70.

Carter is best remembered for her tenure on the hit CBS comedy Designing Women which ran from 1986 to 1993. My first memory of her was from her stint on Diff'rent Strokes where she played Conrad Bain's wife. She would leave after one season and was replaced by former Miss America Mary Ann Mobley.

In real life, Carter was married to fellow actor Hal Holbrook. Last year, she and Holbrook co-starred in an indie film called That Evening Sun.

Carter was also one of the few actresses in Hollywood who was overt about her support for the Republican Party. It was ironic to some given that her character on Designing Women was an unabashed liberal. But art doesn't always imitate life.

Unfortunately, I guess being a Republican is grounds for some to speak ill of the dead. Here is what was written about Carter by one DrDivo on The Daily Kos:

I'm sorry she's gone for the loss of her talent, and I know the pain of those who loved her as a person. However, she used her platform to spread hate and violence and for that I have no shame in saying "Good Riddance".

As both Charlie Brown and Bill O'Reilly would say, "Good grief".

My advice to DrDivo is that if you can't say anything nice then you shouldn't say anything at all.

No comments: