Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Halladay No-Hits Reds in Game 1 of NLDS

Wow!!!

Philaelphia Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay threw a no-hitter against the Cincinnati Reds in Game 1 of the National League Division Series at Citizens Bank Park in Philly. The Phillies won 4-0 and take a 1-0 in the best three of five series.

Halladay becomes the first pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the post-season since Don Larsen threw a perfect game for the New York Yankees against the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1956 World Series.

Back in May, Halladay threw a perfect game against the Florida Marlins. If not for a fifth inning walk to Jay Bruce he was nearly perfect again today. He becomes the first pitcher to throw two no-hitters in a season since Nolan Ryan did it with the California Angels in 1973.

Will Halladay soon join the ranks of Johnny Vander Meer?

Did I mention that Halladay had an RBI single and scored a run?

All in all not bad for his first post-season appearance.

I wish I had watched the game in its entirety. I was at work and when I left I checked the score and saw that he had a no-no through six.

Shortly after arriving at the Cantab in Cambridge, I went upstairs to see if Halladay still had it going. I managed to see the final two outs. There was a small crowd gathered but were appreciative with their applause.

Of course, I called my Dad.

Later, I gave Halladay a shout out before reading my poem.

All in all, not a bad day's work for his post-season appearance.

I can only hope the best is still yet to come. Although it would pretty hard to top what Roy Halladay did today.

No comments: