Sunday, October 10, 2010

Paladino Isn't a Pal of Gays & Lesbians

I don't understand Carl Paladino's invective against gays and lesbians.

The New York GOP gubernatorial nominee said during an appearance in Brooklyn that he didn't want children "to be brainwashed into thinking homosexuality is an equally valid or successful option." Paladino also criticized his Democratic opponent Andrew Cuomo for marching in New York's Gay Pride Parade. I wonder what Paladino thinks of Charlie Baker, the Massachusetts GOP gubernatorial candidate who marched in Boston's Gay Pride this summer.

Paladino's remarks are really callous when you consider that three gay men were brutally beaten last week by the Latin King Goonies, a New York City street gang. Eight men have charged in connection with this attack.

Even if you oppose gay marriage surely there are more civilized ways to convey your opposition. Could you imagine George W. Bush speaking in this manner?

I don't live in New York but if I did I would cast my ballot for Cuomo.

No comments: