Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jinxing Jacoby Ellsbury

In my latest article I have written about the enduring magnificence of Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak which began seventy years ago this month. I also make the point of arguing that DiMaggio's streak becomes more impressive with every player who has a hitting streak that falls short.

At the end of the article, I note Boston Red Sox centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbury's 19-game hitting streak. Well, his streak was snapped in Wednesday's night game against the Toronto Blue Jays as Ellsbury went 0 for 4. The Yankee Clipper's record is once again safe and its stature further enhanced.

Perhaps I jinxed Ellsbury by mentioning his streak in the article. Of course, it might have also had something to do with the quality of the Blue Jays pitching.

No comments: