Monday, June 15, 2009

Letterman Apologizes to the Palins

I saw David Letterman's apology to Sarah Palin, her daughters Willow and Bristol and the rest of her family.

Well, better late than never. It is about as contrite as we'll ever see Letterman. With that I think Palin should accept his apology and move on.

I do think Letterman's intended target was Bristol and not Willow. But that never made it any better. He would never have joked about that way about Chelsea Clinton or President Obama's daughters.

About 20 years ago, I remember being told a story in high school by one of my teachers. She recalled how Dan Rowan and Dick Martin of Laugh In would tell jokes about LBJ but considered his two daughters off limits for they did not choose public life. Letterman would be wise to take notes from those comedic legends.

No comments: