Saturday, September 25, 2010

Miliband vs. Miliband

Ed Miliband has defeated his older brother David Miliband to succeed Gordon Brown as the leader of Britain's Labour Party.

The elder Miliband actually led the leadership contest on the first three ballots but supporters of the other candidates on the ballot (Diane Abbott, Ed Balls and Andy Burnham - for whom I once worked) as well as the trade unions went to the younger Miliband.

I must confess I am less familiar with the new Labour leader than I am with his older brother who served as Brown's Foreign Secretary. I was not impressed with him when he gave an interview to Charlie Rose in December 2008 with regard to his views on Hezbollah nor was I impressed when he said the term "war on terror" was a mistake.

Yet it is widely believed that the new Labour leader is even more left-wing than his brother which is pretty remarkable. Then again I cannot say I am particularly impressed with the Tory-Liberal Democrat coalition led by David Cameron.

All things considered I don't hold out a lot of hope for Britain as it heads down the road to becoming an Islamic country.

No comments: