Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy Chanukah

The Festival of Lights is underway.

What most people don't realize is that Chanukah came about because of a military victory. The Maccabees drove the Syrians from the Holy Temple in Jerusalem in 165 B.C. and restored it as a Jewish place of worship.

In the aftermath of the battle there was only sufficient oil to light the Holy Temple for one night. But instead, the oil burned for eight nights. That is why Chanukah last eight nights.

I know that's a very condensed version of events but it is Chanukah at its essence.

I think there's tendency to focus on the fact Chanukah last eight days rather than the reason for it. People are more likely to think of dreidels and latkes than Maccabees and The Holy Temple.

I wish a movie could be made that would be to Chanukah what The Ten Commandments is to Passover.

Until then I wish all my brethren a Happy Chanukah.

No comments: