Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thoughts on Meredith Baxter

Actress Meredith Baxter has confirmed rumors that she is a lesbian. She did this during an appearance on NBC's The Today Show.

Baxter, who is best known for having played Elyse Keaton on the 1980s hit TV show Family Ties, has been in a committed same sex relationship for the past four years.

It was only last night that I saw her in a TV commercial for cell phones after watching an old episode of The Incredible Hulk. When I saw that commercial I said to myself, "I haven't seen her in anything in ages."

If one looks at her profile on IMDB aside from a guest spot on the FOX comedy show Brothers, some voice work on Family Guy and a TV movie with Lesley Ann Warren she hasn't exactly been in great demand. Granted, I suppose there are only some many acting parts for women over sixty.

But I do wonder if, as a result of this revelation, she will suddenly be offered more plum roles on TV and perhaps even on the silver screen. It'll be interesting to see if this opens more doors for her. If it does then more power to her. But what does it say if one gets offered a role because of who you are rather than what can you do? Yet since when has life ever been fair?

At this stage though I think it's more difficult for an actor or actress to come out as a conservative or a Republican than it is to come out as gay or lesbian in Hollywood.

No comments: