Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Why The Death Penalty Needs To Be Restored In MA

I did not know that this happened until today.

On Saturday afternoon, a man robbed a Tedeschi convenience store in Jamaica Plain on the corner of Centre & Eliot Streets. The store clerk co-operated with the robber's demand. The robber shot and killed the clerk anyway. The robber then fled by getaway car.

Surendra Dangoi, a 31-year-old Nepalese immigrant, died from a shotgun wound to the chest. Dangoi had only been on the job for a few days and had just filled that shift at the last minute. He leaves behind a wife and child in Nepal. But for the grace of G-d.

I have not been inside that store recently but it is in my neighborhood. A part of the neighborhood I'm in at least a couple of times a week. A part of the neighborhood where I feel comfortable. Of course, I'm aware that horrible things can happen anywhere at anytime. But when something this heinous occurs the person responsible should not sit in a prison cell where he can watch TV all day. If this case doesn't cry for the restoration of the death penalty in Massachusetts I don't know what does.

No comments: