Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tony Clarke, 1941-2010. R.I.P.

Record producer Tony Clarke passed away on January 4th. I do not what claimed his life but I do know he was 68.

Clarke was best known for his work with The Moody Blues. He produced eight albums for the band between 1967 and 1978 beginning with Days of Future Passed. Clarke was instrumental in converting the Moody Blues into a band that specialized in symphonic arrangements and probably did as much for progressive rock n' roll as any producer.

My personal favorite is Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. Originally released in July 1971, I have been listening to that album since I was knee high to a tadpole. That album was in part responsible for the love of music that will remain with me for the rest of my life. Besides how can you not love the Mellotron?

No comments: