Sunday, August 29, 2010

Is Glenn Beck The Second Coming of Billy Graham?

I've done some thinking about Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally and I cannot help but wonder if we have the second coming of Billy Graham on our hands. A Mormon Evangelical if you will.

Evidently, I am not the only one who has likened Beck to Graham as is the case here, here and here.

I think the comparison is apt but for a different reason. Beck's rally, of course, took place at the Lincoln Memorial forty-seven years to the day where Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream" speech. When Billy Graham preached in New York City in 1957 he invited King to join him in prayer. Graham would also bail King out of jail after his arrests in the 1960s.

So where Martin Luther King, Jr. is concerned, Beck can definitely be compared with Graham.

No comments: