Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dodgers Sweep Cardinals

On Monday, I predicted there would be a sweep in the NLDS between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

There was a sweep alright. It's just that I picked the wrong team to sweep.

The Dodgers beat the Cardinals 5-1 in Game 3 of the NLDS and will advance to the NLCS against either the Philadelphia Phillies or the Colorado Rockies.

Dodgers starter Vicente Padilla, who was claimed off waivers from the Texas Rangers in August, pitched seven shutout innings giving up only four hits and a walk.

I think this series caught nearly everyone by surprise. I don't think anyone expected Chris Carpenter to get knocked around in Game 1. I don't think anyone expected Matt Holliday to drop a ball with two outs in the bottom of the 9th in Game 2. I don't think anyone expected the Dodgers to then score two runs to win the game. And I certainly don't think anyone expected Padilla to throw seven shutout innings today.

So at the risk of underestimating the Dodgers again I don't think they'll win the NLCS. The reason I say this is because they don't play again until Thursday. The Dodgers can practice all they want but either the Phillies or Rockies will be less rusty.

As for the Phillies-Rockies, Game 3 of their NLDS was postponed due to a heavy snowfall in Denver. The game has been rescheduled for tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, both the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim could sweep their respective ALDS against the Minnesota Twins and the Boston Red Sox tomorrow.

No comments: