Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Storm at ESPN Over Kornheiser

Tony Kornheiser, co-host of ESPN's PTI, has been suspended by the network for two weeks after he made remarks about the wardrobe of Hannah Storm, an ESPN colleague.

Last Friday, during his ESPN radio show, Kornheiser described Storm's attire as a "horrifying outfit" with "red go-go boots." He went to say her skirt was skirt "way too short for somebody her age" (Storm is 47). The coup de grace came when he said, "She's what I would call a Holden Caulfield fantasy at this point."

Now I could understand Storm not being amused with his comments. Kornheiser subsequently apologized both on air and in person to Storm. I think that should have been sufficient.

Frankly, I'm sure there are those who agree with Kornheiser's opinion about Storm's wardrobe. When I look at the photo I'm thinking, "Who shot the drapes?". Not that I agree with Kornheiser entirely. I happen to think she's gorgeous. If she can wear a short skirt at 47 then more power to her. Of course, if Kornheiser had said Storm looked hot I cannot help but think that would have earned him a suspension as well. Or let's put it another way. Would ESPN have suspended Storm if she had criticized Kornheiser's wardrobe or appearance?

I think ESPN is taking political correctness way too far. I remember when they abruptly fired Harold Reynolds from Baseball Tonight in 2006 due to allegations of sexual harassment. Reynolds sued ESPN and settled out of court for $5 million in 2008. The former Seattle Mariners second baseman is now an analyst for The MLB Network.

No comments: