Monday, May 10, 2010

Trouble at Brandeis

While speaking with my mother over the phone yesterday she told me about a row at Brandeis University in nearby Waltham, Massachusetts. (Isn't it amazing that I'm all of ten miles away from Brandeis and my mother in Northwestern Ontario knows more about than I do?)

Now to the row. Brandeis has invited Michael Oren, Israel's Ambassador to the United States to be its commencement speaker later this month. This has prompted an effort on campus to get Oren disinvited on the grounds he is "a rogue state apologist." What does that mean? Does it apply only to members of the Israeli government? Or does it apply to all Israeli citizens? Or does it apply simply to Israeli Jews?

At this point, I don't think Brandeis is going to disinvite him. Still, I think it's very troubling when Jews hate Israel. If what happened to Oren when he spoke at UC Irvine earlier this year happens at Brandeis then heaven help us all. If an Israeli diplomat isn't welcome at a Jewish university then where is he welcome?

No comments: