Thursday, June 24, 2010

CSM Calls Ahmadinejad a "Neoconservative"

I came across this piece in The Christian Science Monitor titled, "Does Israel suffer from Iranophobia?" It's basically about some left-wing Israeli academics who believe Israeli politicians are overblowing the threat from Iran.

But I was quite struck by this passage in the article:

How powerful is that anti-Iran mindset in Israel? How is fear of an Iranian nuclear weapon heightened by the blasts of anti-Israel invective from the neoconservative government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Tehran?

Ahmadinejad is many things. A neoconservative isn't one of them. When I think of a neoconservative I think of Charles Krauthammer, Bill Kristol or Norman Podhoretz. Given that neoconservatism is associated with Jews I am certain Ahmadinejad would bristle at being associated with them. That passage also tells me the staff writer for The Christian Science Monitor doesn't know what neoconservatism is.

No comments: