Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An Evening with Dave Brubeck & The Boston Pops

Tonight, I went to Symphony Hall to see the Dave Brubeck Quartet play with Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops.

I grew up listening to my Dad's Brubeck records especially the seminal Time Out. So Brubeck is someone I've always wanted to see in concert and he has played here in Boston many times but the opportunity was never quite right.

Well, Brubeck turns 90 in December. So I decided to strike the iron while it is still hot.

Brubeck was only on for about 40-45 minutes but it was great to hear his sound especially on such classics as "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Take Five".

Most of the evening was taken up by the Boston Pops which is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year. They played selections from Lockhart's predecessors Arthur Fiedler and John Williams as well as a Beatles retrospective. It was the first time I've seen the Pops outside of the Fourth of July concert on the Esplanade. Speaking of which, after Brubeck left the stage, the Pops closed the evening with a stirring rendition of John Philip Souza's "Stars & Stripes Forever."

It is worth noting that while Brubeck has played in Boston on a number of occasions over the past few years tonight marked the first time he has played Symphony Hall in 19 years. I feel privileged to have taken time out for Dave Brubeck.

No comments: