Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Who Attacked Lara Logan? Presbyterians?

In the headline of his most recent blog post at the AmSpec Blog, John Guardiano claims Lara Logan was attacked by "Pro-Mubarak Barbarians, Not Egyptian Muslims."

It should be noted that Guardiano previously asserted it was pro-Mubarak thugs who produced and carried anti-Semitic signs depicting Mubarak with a Star of David scrawled on his forehead without a shred of evidence to back it up.

As with his earlier accusation, Guardiano offers no evidence in support of his latest assertion. Sure, he offers us quotes from Nick Kristof and Tom Friedman from The New York Times as he has done previously but offers us nothing substantive arising from the actual incident in question.

Now if credible evidence does come to light that pro-Mubarak people were behind the attack on Lara Logan then so be it. I don't care if the people who attacked Logan are pro-Mubarak or anti-Mubarak. They're thugs all the same and they must pay for their crime.

Which brings me to the other half of Guardiano's headline. Now I did not comment on the religious background of Logan's attackers in either of my posts on the subject. In fact, I identify them as "Egyptian protesters". Nevertheless, Guardiano makes a point of stating Egyptian Muslims were not involved in the attack on Logan. When I read that my first thought was, "So who does Guardiano think attacked Lara Logan? Presbyterians?" But then I read this passage:

And these were not Muslims who did this (chapter 5, verse 2 of the Qur'an says: "do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression"). These were barbarians.

So by that logic one could argue that Muslims were not involved in the attacks of September 11, 2001. In fact, this sort of rubbish was advanced in the wake of 9/11. Consider the words of Egyptian born writer Nonie Darwish:

When I learned later that the leader of the 19 terrorists was Mohammed Atta, from a middle-class family from Cairo, I was devastated. I called my friends in Egypt. They all said: "Don't you know this is a Jewish conspiracy?" I could not believe the denial. For how long are we, the Arab people, going to accuse the Jewish people of everything we do wrong?

If Guardiano wants to stick up for Egyptian Muslims that is his business. But he sure isn't doing them any favors.

No comments: