Saturday, February 5, 2011

Woodie Fryman, 1940-2011. R.I.P.

Former major league pitcher Woodie Fryman has passed away. The cause of death has not yet been disclosed. He was 70.

Fryman, a southpaw, pitched eighteen seasons in the big leagues with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Phillies, Detroit Tigers, Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs and had two stints with the Montreal Expos. Nicknamed "Farmer", Fryman was actually a tobacco farmer in his native Kentucky.

When I think of Fryman I think of his days with the Expos when he was the team's closer before they acquired Jeff Reardon from the New York Mets during the 1981 season. I also remember him when I attended my first major league ballgame at Montreal's Olympic Stadium that same year (which as it turned out was the only year the Expos ever made the post-season.) The Expos were hosting the Atlanta Braves and prior to the game there was an egg throwing contest and a cow milking contest. Fryman won the latter contest.

To think that I witnessed this almost thirty years ago. Where has all the time gone?

No comments: