Monday, May 19, 2008

Jon Lester Tosses No-Hitter

Why is it that every time a Boston Red Sox pitcher throws a no-hitter I'm out of the city?  I was in Salisbury, Massachusetts when Clay Buchholz threw his no-no against the Baltimore Orioles last September.  At least I saw that one on TV.  It was the first no-hitter I ever saw from start to finish.  Tonight, I am in New York City on a week's vacation.  After returning from an evening of poetry in the East Village, my Dad & I turn on the TV to discover that Jon Lester has thrown one this evening against the Kansas City Royals en route to a 7-0 victory.  I saw Lester pitch at Fenway last month against the Los Angeles Angels and he wasn't very sharp.  But he would pitch a one-hitter against the Toronto Blue Jays in his following start although he got a no decision out of it.  Aside from winning the deciding game in the 2007 World Series, this is the highlight of his career.  A year ago he was on his to coming back from lymphoma.  What a year he has had since.   It is also worth noting this is the 4th no-hitter Jason Varitek has caught in his career which sets the modern Major League record.  Varitek caught Buccholz's no-hitter in 2007 as well as Hideo Nomo's no-no against Baltimore in 2001 and Derek Lowe's no-hitter against Tampa Bay in 2002.  It would be nice to be around for these things but I'm not complaining too much.  I am going to Yankee Stadium tomorrow night to see the Yankees play the Orioles.  Mike Mussina (who once came within an out of pitching a perfect game against the Red Sox in 2001) faces off against Daniel Cabrera.  I will be wearing my Red Sox cap at what is probably my last chance to see Yankee Stadium.

No comments: