Thursday, April 24, 2008

Is Bush Lowering Expectations for a Palestinian State?

President Bush received Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas at the White House today and told reporters, "I'm confident we can achieve the definition of a state." Back in January I wrote an article which argued Bush needed the creation of a Palestinian state to save the legacy of his Presidency even if done at the expense of Israel. This statement leads me believe that he has come to the realization that there will not be an agreement by the end of his term. Frankly, I'm not sure Bush should want to be remembered for playing a part in the creation of a terrorist state. As much as I am disgusted with Jimmy Carter's engagement of Hamas I really don't believe Fatah to be much better. I'm not sure what Bush saw in Abbas that he would embrace him after Arafat's death other than he was not Arafat. Bush might be dissapointed in not having an agreement achieved under his watch but it might be ulitmately be for the best. On the other hand, if a Democrat is elected in November and no agreement has been reached you can be sure Hillary or Obama will exert more pressure on Israel to make concessions so they can have a ceremony on the White House lawn.

No comments: