Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What Happens When Liberals Speak Kindly of Palin

I came across this blog post by Ilana Angel, a self-described pro-choice, pro-gay marriage Jewish Democrat. While she would never vote for Sarah Palin in a million years it just happens she likes Sarah Palin as a person.

Ms. Angel had a chance encounter with Palin when the former Alaska Governor was in Los Angeles last week meeting with reality show producer Mark Burnett.

Needless to say, the fit hit the shan. Angel writes:

I did not write a political blog yesterday. I wrote about having a chance encounter with someone in the public eye, who I happen to think is interesting. Just because I think her politics are scary, does not mean that I can’t think she is a nice human being.

Conservatives wrote fast and furious to let me know they respected the bravery of my article, considering I was not a supporter of Sarah as a politician. I think it’s a sad day in America when people feel the need to commend you for being decent.

Liberals wrote to say that I took my picture with Hitler, was fraternizing with the enemy, and should be ashamed of myself. Six of my “friends” were so disgusted with my blog, that they decided to “un-friend” me on Facebook.

Listen to me people, just because you talk to a woman about glasses, purses, children, and dating, does not mean that you are going to sit down for a glass of Kool-Aid, and give up on everything that you believe in. Liking Sarah Palin is not a sin. Judging her as a politician, rather than a human being, is.

I noticed that in the feedback section a reader named Leigh made reference and included an excerpt from my column, "Sarah Palin is the Israel of American Politics" which I wrote shortly after the 2008 election:

If Sarah Palin were a member state of the UN she would be condemned daily by the General Assembly for transgressions both real and imagined.

Those who hate Israel are prepared to believe any unkind word said about it. If Israel-haters are told that Israelis use the blood of Palestinian children to make Purim pastries they accept it as the gospel truth. Those who hate Sarah Palin are prepared to believe any unkind word said about her. When unnamed sources from the McCain campaign were alleged to have said that Palin didn’t know Africa was a continent, the Palin haters accepted it as an article of faith. Never mind that Palin led an effort to have Alaska divest its holdings in the Darfur region of Sudan. Those who hate Palin are not interested in the truth. They are interested only in seeing grievous harm come to her.

Apparently, they also wish ill will upon anyone who speaks kindly of Palin especially amongst their ideological comrades. Ilana Angel is an increasingly rare example of liberal tolerance amongst liberals.

No comments: