Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Specter Might Come to Regret Switching Parties

When I read that Arlen Specter had crossed the floor to join the Democrats, I immediately took a look at National Review Online's The Corner.

No sooner than I thought it their managing editor Jay Nordlinger wrote, "There you have it. He thought he was going to lose."

So it's going to be Specter vs. Toomey II in November 2010.

But this time only one fighter will come out of the red corner.

In the meantime, I guess Specter and President Obama will get to cheer on the Pittsburgh Steelers some more. He'll just have to hope there isn't a Steelers-Bears Superbowl.

I know Pennsylvania is a blue state but I think this is going to backfire on Specter.

It would be one thing if Specter had lost the GOP nomination to Toomey and decided to run as an independent. The Democrats probably would have no candidate or only token opposition and would have probably been re-elected.

But I think Specter actually switching parties will anger a lot of people. I am sure there are a lot of Republicans who weren't crazy about Specter but voted for him because he was the devil they knew. They voted for him because George W. Bush and Rick Santorum vouched for him. If that is the case this will be the straw that broke the camel's back. This will be especially true if the economy in Pennsylvania isn't appreciably better in the next 18 months.

Can anyone say Senator-elect Toomey?

No comments: