Thursday, August 13, 2009

Will Bronson Arroyo Retire?

After having cleared waivers, Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo had a lot of things to say.

Specifically, he commented on his use of supplements. Some of these supplements are not approved by Major League Baseball. "But I haven't failed any tests, so I figured I'm good," said Arroyo. He also admitted to taking androstenedione and amphetamines beginning in 1998 when he was still a minor league pitcher in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization and did not stop taking those substances until 2004 and 2006, respectively.

After it came to light his former Boston Red Sox teammate David Ortiz was evidently on the list of 104 players who tested positive for PEDs, Arroyo opined that he too was probably on the list. But Arroyo made no apologies. As he told USA Today:

I do what I want to do and say what I want to say. But society has made this such a tainted thing. The media has made it where people look at it in such a super-negative light. I've always been honest. I'm not going to stop now
.

People can think what they want of me," he says. I don't give a f—-.

Given that Arroyo would pitch while wearing cornrows in his hair it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't give a f---.

I was also struck by the observation Arroyo made about another former Red Sox teammate Manny Ramirez:

I can see where guys like Hank Aaron and some of the old-timers have a beef with it. But as far as looking at Manny Ramirez like he's (serial killer) Ted Bundy, you're out of your mind. At the end of the day, you think anybody really (cares) whether Manny Ramirez's kidneys fail and he dies at 50? You were happy if the Red Sox won 95 games. You'd go home, have a cookout with your family. No big deal.

Well, needless to say, the MLB Commissioner's office wants to chat with Arroyo.

Somehow I don't he cares much. In fact, I think he probably wanted to get it off his chest for quite some time.

Indeed, today Arroyo arguably pitched the best game of his major league career. Arroyo pitched a complete game two-hit shutout against the Washington Nationals to give the Reds a 7-0 victory. It is the third complete game shutout of his decade long big league career.

In addition to playing baseball, Arroyo is an accomplished musician. I wonder if Arroyo is being this candid so as to get out of baseball and into music full time. Despite the supplements, Arroyo's career won loss record is 82-81. I've often thought Arroyo should shelve his music projects until the end of his big league career because that would probably do more to improve his pitching than any supplement he's taking.

Although Arroyo is 32 and could probably pitch another three to five seasons it would not surprise me if he were to walk away from baseball. Unless Arroyo is prepared for the inevitable ridicule and scorn of the press I think he would rather be known for his rock n' roll than rocking the baseball world to its very foundation by becoming a spokesperson for the new over the counterculture. So I say he hangs up his spikes and picks up his guitar.




1 comment:

middlesex said...

There is no doubt you did a good job.