Monday, November 10, 2008

The Graciousness of George W. Bush

Later today, President-Elect Obama will meet with President Bush at the White House.

This only six days after Obama was elected.

When speaking on the South Lawn in front of the entire White House staff President Bush said, "The peaceful transfer of power is one of the hallmarks of a true democracy. And ensuring that this transition is as smooth as possible is a priority for the rest of my Presidency."

I read this quote and I think of people like former Nixon White House Counsel John Dean and Pullitzer Prize winner Naomi Wolf insist to the high heavens that Bush would find a way to remain in the White House after January 20th and that fascism would take reign in the United States. I saw and heard them utter it with my own eyes and ears just last year.

I'm sure they still believe that there's still a plan in the works to deny Obama the Oval Office. It just demonstrates the hysterical irrationality paranoia there was and still is towards Bush. Yet I think most Obama supporters know perfectly well that Bush is leaving. Why else would people put 1/20/09 bumper stickers if they didn't have some semblance of faith in democracy?

George W. Bush has demonstrated the utmost in graciousness.

Somehow I don't think Bush staffers will remove the letter "O" from the White House keyboards unlike Clinton staffers who saw fit to remove the letter "W" from White House keyboards.

George W. Bush and his people aren't that type.

No comments: