Monday, November 3, 2008

Madelyn Dunham, 1922-2008. R.I.P.

Madelyn Dunham, the maternal grandmother of Barack Obama, has died. She was 86 years old. Dunham had been ill for some time and Obama recently took time away from the campaign trail to visit her.

Obama gave Dunham some unwanted publicity back in March during the height of the Reverend Wright controversy. "I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother...who has on more than one occasion has uttered racial and ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe," said Obama during his first set of remarks about Wright in Philadelphia.

Some accused Obama of throwing his grandmother under the bus.

He stepped it in further when he referred to his grandmother as "a typical white person" on a Philadelphia radio show two days later. As if there is such a thing.

You might question the propriety of me bringing this up now. But Obama's grandmother was ill seven and a half months ago and yet Obama saw fit to talk disparagingly about her to advance his political agenda.

All I know is that if I spoke about my maternal grandmother in the way Obama spoke about his grandmother I would have a lot to answer for to my family.

No comments: