Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Aaron Boone Has a Lot of Heart

Aaron Boone is not a beloved figure in Boston.

In fact, in these parts he is known as Aaron "F#%&^n" Boone after he hit this homerun off Tim Wakefield in Game 7 of the 2003 American League Championship Series to send the New York Yankees to the World Series. The morning after the Red Sox came within five outs of going to the World Series was the quietest ride I've ever experienced on the T.

Well, the Red Sox did get even the following year.

As for Boone, since that homerun, he has bounced around playing with the Cleveland Indians, the Florida Marlins, the Washington Nationals before signing a contract with the Houston Astros this past off season.

However, during spring training, a routine medical exam revealed he had a defect in his aortic valve and required open heart surgery. Many thought he had played his last major league game. Today, only five months after the surgery, Boone returned to major league action starting at first base for the Astros during an afternoon game against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

At the risk of offending Red Sox Nation, I am happy for Aaron Boone today.

Besides we Aarons have to stick together.

Not only do we share the same name we are both 36 years old. I cannot imagine having to face not only the prospect of not being able to do what I love but to have my life end prematurely. Oh, I can understand it intellectually but unless I actually face it I can never truly know it in my heart. Well, it looks like Aaron Boone is getting a second chance.

But for the grace of G-d go I.

No comments: