Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rachel Alexandra Wins Preakness

Rachel Alexandra today became the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes since 1924. She beat out Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird.

When I first saw the name Rachel Alexandra a couple of weeks ago I did a double take.

At first I thought I was seeing the name of our very own Rachel Alexander, the co-editor of IC.

But alas I soon learned the name was actually Rachel Alexandra and that she was a horse. Earlier this month, she won the Kentucky Oaks by more than 20 lengths, a record for a filly. Secretariat, of course, has the all time record when he won the Belmont Stakes in 1973 by a staggering 31 lengths.

No word yet if Rachel Alexandra will be running in the Belmont Stakes next month.

Well, we might never see Rachel Alexander on a race track. However, if she were to seek elected office I have little doubt she would defeat the competition by at least 20 lengths.

No comments: