Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sotomayor=Miers?

President Obama has nominated Sonia Sotomayor, a judge on the United States 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, to replace David Souter on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Ramesh Ponnuru of National Review Online is calling Sotomayor "Obama's Harriet Miers" in The Washington Post.

Now before I comment further I have been trying to find the link to his post but the link cannot connect.

So without the benefit of having read Ponnuru's thoughts here is my reaction to comparing Sotomayor and Miers. Quite frankly it is comparing apples and oranges.

First, Miers never served on the federal bench whereas Sotomayor has been a jurist for nearly two decades. Now, Ponnuru might not like Sotomayor's decisions or judicial philosophy but the comparison simply isn't apt.

Second, conservatives were even more vitriolic in their opposition to Miers than liberals were. I should note that I wrote an article in support of Miers as did IC co-editor Rachel Alexander. Somehow I can't see liberal activists clamoring for Sotomayor's defeat much less demand Obama withdraw her nomination.

If someone has read Ponnuru's take and can send me a link or can otherwise enlighten please do so. Until I hear otherwise comparing Sotomayor to Miers misses the mark.

No comments: